Food Wishes Recipes: Chocolate Egg Cream – New York’s Famous Chocolate Egg Cream Drink Recipe:
Contrary to the name of this New York City soda fountain classic, chocolate egg creams do not contain any eggs or cream. What is does contain is Fox‘s “U-bet” chocolate “flavor” syrup.
This uniquely American ingredient hails from Brooklyn, New York, and despite the picture of the woman on the label (why is she looking at me like that?), I love the flavor of this syrup. If you can’t find it, I’m sure a certain brand from Pennsylvania will do just fine.
Along with the chocolate come the simple additions of milk and seltzer water. The magic of this drink is how the minimalist design produces such a rich, yet refreshing chocolate beverage. In fact, one of the reasons the beverage was so popular in its time, it was considered a cure for indigestion!
There are all sorts of arguments about the origins of this drink (when it comes to sports and food, New Yorkers do seem to enjoy a good debate), but most chocolate soda fountain drink historians think this was invented somewhere in Brooklyn, in the 1920’s.
The technique is very simple, and as I suggest in the video, you’ll want to adjust the trio of ingredients to the ratio that you find most satisfying. Some prefer this very light and frosty with extra milk, others go for the darker, flatter and richer.
Ingredients per glass:
1-2 oz chocolate syrup
1-2 oz cold milk
8-10 oz very cold seltzer water
- Ice cream, for the Weekender (aneshreenaidoo.wordpress.com)
- Recipes: 1969: Evelyn Sharpe’s French Chocolate Cake (nytimes.com)
- Duty-Free Food Souvenirs: Kinder Bueno Chocolates (and Why Not to Buy Kinder Eggs) (thekitchn.com)
- We’re Running Out of Chocolate [Chocolate] (gizmodo.com)
- Create-A-Cuppa (dayliliescreative.wordpress.com)
- Chocolate treats to melt your valentine’s heart (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- imabonehead: One Perfect Bite: Triple-Chocolate Cheese Cake (oneperfectbite.blogspot.com)
- Chocolate Mousse (cookingwithkatie.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Egg and feta cheese breakfast tortilla (thewonderingchef.wordpress.com)
- Q&A with Chef John of Food Wishes (youtube-global.blogspot.com)
- Cold February Means HOT CHOCOLATE (pbenjay.wordpress.com)
- Michael Schwartz is Miami’s ‘it’ chef at this week’s South Beach Wine & Food Festival (pbpulse.com)
- History of Sacher Torte (friendseat.com)
- Luscious, no-brainer White Chocolate Popcorn recipe! (chicagonow.com)
- Cupcakes, for the Weekender (aneshreenaidoo.wordpress.com)