Bored with breakfast? Huevos rancheros, or ranch-style eggs, is a hearty, healthy, and very delicious breakfast. Watch how easy it is to make a fresh ranchero sauce, the key ingredient in this classic Mexican meal.
Huevos Rancheros simplemeans ranch-style eggs, and if you’ve ever worked on a ranch, like I have (I picked corn one summer), you understand the importance of a hearty breakfast.
There are many variations of this dish, all which includes some kind of eggs topped with some kind of tomato and chili-based sauce. This video recipe shows a fairly traditional preparation with two slight twists. I like my ranchero sauce kind of smooth – where as most classic versions are quite chunky. Also, instead of the plain tortilla base, I slip in a slice of cheese for a little quesadilla action.
If you decide to go ahead and try this (and when you see the money shot at the end, you really won’t have much choice), you should follow my lead and have it with the rice and beans. I love homefries the much as the next ranch hand, but there’s something about the way the egg yolk and ranchero sauce mix together that works so well with frijoles refritos and arroz.
Since this recipe was produced for About, the following video link will take you off the site to watch the video, just don’t forget to come back. Enjoy!
1 tbsp of tomato paste
1 tsp of vegetable oil
1/2 cup diced onions
big pinch of salt
2/3 cup diced green chilies – combination of hot or sweet i.e.jalapeno & Fresno chilies
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oregano
14.5-oz diced tomatoes
1/2 cup of water
salt and cayenne pepper
Pepper jack cheese
- Brunching for Huevos Rancheros – Tales from a Kitchen Misfit (bostonbrunchers.com)
- Bacalao con huevos (cruditas.com)
- Breakfast of Champions: What to Eat Now That Big Breakfasts are Out (blisstree.com)
- Quick Bites: Charley’s Crab gets new look to take advantage of location (pbpulse.com)
- 2010 Review of Cooking in Mexico – the stats (cookinginmexico.com)
- The Blue Glass adds weekend brunch (myballard.com)
- Morning Links: The Best Way to Store Eggs (blisstree.com)
- Salsa, The King of Condiments (everydayhealth.com)
- Claremont Diner, Oakland: Period eatery (sfgate.com)
- Gallego’s in Berkeley: traditional Mexican food (sfgate.com)