Get the full story! Visit http://foodwishes.com to get the ingredients, and watch over 200 free video recipes. Leave me a comment there. If you have questions, ask on the website. Thanks!!
There are certain dishes I would never talk someone into trying, or argue on behalf of its virtues. It’s one of those, “there are two kinds of people in the world” things. Either you really love corned beef hash, or you don’t eat it. It’s not a dish for the indifferent.
Now, that the non-hash people have stopped reading, let’s talk crust. As you well know, what separates a great hash from a transcendent hash is the “crust.” You can’t rush a corned beef hash crust – it’s built slowly, over medium heat, with multiple turnings and pressings, the meat and potatoes crisped and caramelized in the combination of butter and beef fat.
I’ve always felt it’s a poached eggs greatest achievement to meet its end on a pile of perfectly crusty corned beef hash. In addition to the textural pleasures, it also features one of the food world’s greatest sights – the egg’s golden yolk slowly running over and through the steaming hash. They don’t know what they’re missing. Enjoy!
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 pounds cooked corned beef, diced
1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, peeled quartered
1/4 cup prepared roasted tomato salsa
2 clove garlic, crushed
1 bunch green onions, white parts chopped, green parts reserved for garnish
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Corned Beef Hash (foodrecipes.wordpress.com)
- Puerto Rico suffering shortage of its beloved canned corned beef (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Corned beef fritters with tomato (independent.co.uk)
- The Humble Plate of Hash Has Nobler Ambitions (nytimes.com)
- Humble plate of hash gets gussied up (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Breakfast * (danielhernandez.typepad.com)
- Whiteboard Friday – Using The Hash (seomoz.org)
- Les Marmitons New Jersey: Valentine a la Sous Vide (offthebroiler.wordpress.com)
- Is it possible to make a tasty soup from the water that corned beef has been boiled in? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Family life (guardian.co.uk)